History of the SHOCFC
Sacred Heart College began its existence in 1897 as Sacred Heart High School at Port Adelaide. It moved to the Esplanade at Semaphore in 1902 (when the name was changed to Sacred Heart College), then to Largs Bay, and finally to Brighton Road in 1914. A Marist Brothers Old Boys team played between 1917 & 1921 at the Victoria Park Racecourse. Then in the ‘60s, the Sacred Heart Collegians Old Scholars Association discussed the formation of a football team, but could not obtain the use of a suitable ground. Many of its members at that time were playing football with the Christian Brothers O.C. club. However, with the acquisition of Pennington Reserve, the Club was formed in 1968, and steady progress was made in the '70s under the guidance of Coach and President Roger Orchard until A1 was achieved in 1984.
The Club then nearly pulled off the not inconsiderable feat of ranking with Kingswood (1913), West Adelaide United (1936) and Woodville (1941) as the only SAAFL clubs to win the flag in their first season of promotion to A1 football. It ended the minor round in second place, then led Riverside in the Second Semi by 13 points with only minutes to play, but the game ended in a draw and S.H.O.C. lost the replay and then the Preliminary Final to finish third. Had it won the Second Semi it would have joined St. Peters O.C. and Prince Alfred O.C. as the only old scholars clubs to play in an A1 Grand Final. The Club then stayed in A1 until 1989, returning briefly in 1994, and except for a brief visit to Division 3 in 2001, has become a fixture in Division 2 .The record-holder for games played is A.Whennan with 401.